After spending 4 years of my life in a toxic relationship, followed by a year and a half of trying to please everyone else, and not always doing what I want to do I have decided it’s time for a change.
A few years back I had realized that I have some mental health issues, as a lot of people do these days. In 2015 my mental health issues hit an all time low. I didn’t want to leave my room, I didn’t have motivation to do anything (not even the things I love), I wasn’t pleasant to be around, the list just goes on and on and on. It was a horrible time in my life, I’m not going to sugar coat it even the least.
Near the end of 2015 I realized that something needs to change. I need to better myself or who knows what’s going to happen.
I spent so much time after my breakup worrying about the fact that I was single, and that I didn’t have anyone that cared for me. It was probably one of the stupidest thoughts I’ve ever had. I have friends and family that do nothing but care for me. I realized that in order to find love I need to first love myself. That’s something I have never done. I pick a part every small detail about every single part of my life. I also, even more recently realized that I enjoy being single. I don’t need to be in a relationship, and I actually don’t want to be in a relationship. (Plot twist)
That’s why I am making 2016 the year of me. I am doing what I want to do, when I want to do it and I don’t care what others think. I’m done being someone I’m not just to make certain people like me for a brief period of time.
How I plan to make 2016 the year of me:
- For starters, I am working on my health and well being. I am working out on a regular basis, eating healthy foods, taking my vitamins, and drinking lots of water.
- Do yoga twice a week (minimum).
- I am spending less time on my phone, and spending more time exploring, and with friends (face to face communication).
- I am reading novels. This is something I used to do when I was younger and there was nothing I loved more. Instead of spending a half hour on Instagram before bed, I am spending a half hour with my nose in a book.
- I am making to-do lists and staying on top of them. That includes prioritizing my time.
- I am finishing my school work early and on time to eliminate extra stress.
- I am taking my first solo trip. I spent some time alone in the South of France back in 2011, however I was an Au Pair, so I always had a home to go back to. This time I am travelling to South America for 10 weeks. I booked my flight to Ecuador yesterday, and with the exception of knowing that I will be going to Ecuador, the Galapagos Islands, Chile and Peru I don’t have anything else planned. I am a planner (which can be stressful) so this will make for a very interesting time.
- I plan to be a go do’er. If I want to go do something and no one else wants to do it with me I’ll do it alone. There is nothing wrong with that.
- I don’t owe anyone anything. I don’t owe them my time, my friendship, none of that. If I don’t want you in my life, because you are negative, or don’t make a positive impact on my life don’t be surprised when I cut you out of my life. That may be harsh, but it’s reality.
By the end of the year my goal is to have a healthy, mind, body and soul. As cliché as that sounds, that is my goal.